[chirp_users] BF-F8+ , how to program

Jim Unroe
Sat May 21 17:57:46 PDT 2022

On Sat, May 21, 2022 at 8:49 PM Kenneth G. Gordon
<kgordon2006 at frontier.com> wrote:

> On 21 May 2022 at 15:39, Ken Hansen wrote:
>
> > Always use the most current version, support for radios is never
> > dropped, so there's no reason to run an old version.
> >
> > Ken, N2VIP
> >
> > > On May 21, 2022, at 15:11, Kenneth G. Gordon <kgordon2006 at frontier.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > A friend just bought a new Baofeng BA-F8+ and is having considerable trouble programming
> > > it.
> > >
> > > Is there a specific version of Chirp which will do the trick?
> > >
> > > Ken W7EKB
>
> I guess I didn't make myself very clear. Sorry about that.
>
> What I meant was that when programming this BF-F8+, I had trouble picking out the correct
> radio-type to program it.
>
> I finally tried, from my OWN computer, not his, the choice, BF-F8HP.
>
> It took several tries to get the program to "stick", but I finally succeeded.
>
> I AM using the latest version of chirp, btw.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken W7EKB

Ken,

BF-F8HP is the wrong model to choose for a BF-F8+. The BF-F8+ is a
UV-5R like radio with 2 transmit power levels, therefore you should
choose the UV-5R model selection to program it. The BF-F8HP is a UV-5R
like radio with 3 transmit power levels. The BF-F8HP model selection
should only be for radio models with 3 transmit power levels.