[chirp_users] Add-on Modules/Scripts for Chirp ?

Ken Hansen
Tue May 17 06:01:13 PDT 2022

I think this would be a big task, as currently CHIRP has no built-in support for any scanners from any manufacturer, based on a quick scan of the CHIRP homepage:

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

I am not aware of any publicly-available documentation on how to program a Uniden/bearcat scanner, though I suppose there's likely something somewhere.

CHIRP architecture (as far as I can tell from the outside looking in) is not setup to handle trunking groups, digital modes, etc.

I appreciate the desire to avoid windows, but the alternative would be front panel programming your frequencies into the scanner. I had no problem banging in about a hundred frequencies into a simple Whistler desktop scanner, but all that entailed was typing in each frequency and saving it to memory (no tone, no label, nothing, just frequency they the keypad) - your 'fancy' scanner would take a greater effort.

It is a nice looking scanner - it has a nice feature set and covers ham bands from 10 meters to 23 cm - and reminds me of a radio shack scanner I have, the PRO-2051, but they are not the same. I was able to get the required cable and the appropriate windows software to program my scanner, I'd encourage you to do the same.

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanners/0780.html

Maybe ask a windows-running friend to help, programming scanners is, in my experience, typically a "one and done" kind of thing, where once programmed, they are never touched again (or at least very rarely).

Good luck!

Ken, N2VIP