[chirp_users] Linux CHIRP, ICOM 7100, "unicode strings" error

Martin Cooper
Wed Jul 27 08:46:36 PDT 2022

Assuming it's the same as for the IC-910H, the CI-V Transceive function is
like a real-time updating facility, whereby when you tune the radio
manually, it continually sends CI-V data to the computer. You do not want
this enabled while running Chirp. FLRIG quite likely does want this
enabled, so this may be the setting that Jim was referring to.

The Chirp driver for the IC-7100 is a live mode driver. As such, Chirp uses
the CI-V interface to talk to, and receive data from, the radio. I don't
know about the connectors on that radio, but make sure you're connecting to
the CI-V interface.

Martin.
KD6YAM