[chirp_users] using chirp for first time.

Chuck Barnett
Sun Jun 6 16:39:15 PDT 2021

Thanks!

Somehow, I'm in!

I'll not go into all the issues and frustrations the lack of
knowledge/information raised for me in this process.  Suffice it to say
that 'simple instructions' leave a lot of stuff out which is vital for the
non-tech

Chuck
K7CFB

On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 4:23 PM Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 7:11 PM Chuck Barnett <charlesfbarnett at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I got the cable, plugged it in and nothing.  went to the
> www.baofengtech.com/download page and grubbed around there awhile and
> figured out that I was to download CHIRP, which I alread had.  Did that
> anyway.
> > Nothing.
> > Instructions ask and answer the question "My computer did not
> automatically install the driver..."  the Answer was to go to
> http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm and download the latest FTDI
> driver...
> > I found that search quite confusing.  finally downloaded something
> called CH341ER.ZIP and extracted and clicked on 64 bit setup and got a pop
> up which I couldn't manipulate.
> > Opened Device manager and still cannot find com ports. Tho I see under
> "Other devices", something called 'FT232R USB UART.  Didn't get anywhere
> with that.
> >
> > This isn't going well.
> >
> > Help?
> >

> If you don't already know which chip is in your programming cable,
> then your best course of action is to download and install all the
> drivers for the most common USB-to-Serial chips (FTDI, Silicon Labs,
> WCH and Prolific). They are all available from links on the miklor.com
> website.
>
> https://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php
>
> Then when you plug your programming cable, the chip will be detected,
> the correct driver will load and you will be able to access Device
> Manager to see which chip it is and what COM port has been assigned to
> the programming cable by the driver. Then the only additional thing
> will be if the chip is a Prolific type, you will have to install and
> select the older Prolific v3.2.0.0 driver.
>
> Jim KC9HI
>
> Jim KC9HI

*Chuck Barnett*
(425) 530-0328