[chirp_users] using chirp for first time.

Jim Unroe
Sun Jun 6 16:22:42 PDT 2021

On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 7:11 PM Chuck Barnett <charlesfbarnett at gmail.com> wrote:

> I got the cable, plugged it in and nothing.  went to the www.baofengtech.com/download page and grubbed around there awhile and figured out that I was to download CHIRP, which I alread had.  Did that anyway.
> Nothing.
> Instructions ask and answer the question "My computer did not automatically install the driver..."  the Answer was to go to http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm and download the latest FTDI driver...
> I found that search quite confusing.  finally downloaded something called CH341ER.ZIP and extracted and clicked on 64 bit setup and got a pop up which I couldn't manipulate.
> Opened Device manager and still cannot find com ports. Tho I see under "Other devices", something called 'FT232R USB UART.  Didn't get anywhere with that.
>
> This isn't going well.
>
> Help?

If you don't already know which chip is in your programming cable,
then your best course of action is to download and install all the
drivers for the most common USB-to-Serial chips (FTDI, Silicon Labs,
WCH and Prolific). They are all available from links on the miklor.com
website.

https://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

Then when you plug your programming cable, the chip will be detected,
the correct driver will load and you will be able to access Device
Manager to see which chip it is and what COM port has been assigned to
the programming cable by the driver. Then the only additional thing
will be if the chip is a Prolific type, you will have to install and
select the older Prolific v3.2.0.0 driver.