[chirp_users] Baofeng UV-5R MK4

Kramarik at Earthlink.net
Wed Jan 13 08:07:58 PST 2021

Is there a manual I can read to understand the details/nuances for using Chirp? I am trying to import a few lines of detail from an open tab in chirp (Repeater list) into a different open tab that is the current IMG file for my radio. I have tried to copy (Control/C) and paste (CTL/V) and that does not work. I do not want to import the entire file, because I am only missing 3-4 frequencies. Thanks.

Rich Kramarik

-----Original Message-----
From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com <chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com> On Behalf Of Jim Unroe
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 8:54 AM
To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Baofeng UV-5R MK4

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 10:34 PM ken smith <ken.smith29 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have successfully been able to use Chirp to upload .csv files etc. All communications between the software and radio seem to work. However, when manually loading HAM repeater information, the upload info seems to not take correctly. For example, I used the software to put in a 2m frequency, no tone, “-“ offset at 0.60 and low transmit power. After the upload, the radio shows the correct frequency and memory name but that’s it. The transmit power shows Medium (which isn’t even an option in the software) and also shows both “+” and “-“ on the radio screen. When keying the mike, it shows CT as if there is a tone being transmitted. Something is not syncing right but I am not getting any error messages. Any help here is appreciated.

It is hard to know what you may have done wrong without having access to the CSV file or the actual "image" sent to the radio. I will do my best to guess.

These UV-5R and UV-82 like radios do not use or store the shift direction or offset in a memory channel. They aren't required. For this reason, the SFT-D and OFFSET menus only function in VFO mode.

What is stored in a memory channel is an RX frequency and a TX frequency. When the RX frequency and TX frequency are not the same (as they would not be the same for a repeater, odd-split, cross-band or TX disabled channel), there is a "+-" indication in the upper status display area. This is to let the user know the RX frequency and TX frequency of the selected channel are not the same. CHIRP lets users enter the parameters for a repeater as a frequency, shift direction and offset, but in the case of a UV-5R and similar radios, CHIRP computes the TX frequency and stores that in the "image" to be sent to the radio because that is what it requires.

Since your radio can display "MID" as a TXP option, you have a radio with 3 TX power levels. You are most likely incorrectly selecting and using the UV-5R model when downloading from your radio. The UV-5R model selection is for a UV-5R like radio with 2 TX power levels. A UV-5R image with the TXP set to HIGH uploaded to a radio with 3 TX power levels would be correctly set to MID in a radio with 3 TX power levels. To work with your radio correctly, you should be selecting BF-F8HP, which is for UV-5R like radio models with 3 TX power levels, to program your radio.

If there is a CT showing up in the left status display area when the [PTT] button button is pressed and nothing showing when it is released, you must Tone Mode set to Tone and the radio is picking up the default 88.5 Hz tone. It should be set to "(None)" in CHIRP and in the CSV file it would be {blank} (in other words there would be nothing between the commas (",,").

One way to help understand how the fields of a CSV file should look would be to program some working memories in the CHIRP spreadsheet style memory editor and export them to a CSV file. An easy way to get working channels would be to import some from RepeaterBook or load one of the stock config files.