[chirp_users] Puxing PX-2R "not responding"

christoph at grothesque.org
Mon Jan 11 02:56:18 PST 2021

Hello,

I’m trying to download the config from a Puxing PX-2R using Chirp
1:20190104-1 on Debian stable with the result that the "Radio is not
responding".

I searched the available information (wiki, bug reports, list archive)
without finding a solution.  Maybe someone here has a suggestion?

The cable I use is shown by lsusb as
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port

When I connect the radio to the computer with this cable and switch it
on, an orange LED lights above the active display.  Since the radio does
not react to key presses when connected in this way it seems to detect
the connection.  (When disconnected it reacts normally.)

In chirpw, I select "Download from Radio" and
Port: /dev/ttyUSB0 (the only one, read/write rights are OK)
Vendor: Puxing
Model: PX-2R

Then I press "OK" and an error dialog appears together with the
following message in the terminal:

ERROR: -- Exception: --
ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/chirp/ui/clone.py", line 256, in run
    self.__radio.sync_in()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/chirp/drivers/puxing.py", line 441, in sync_in
    self._mmap = puxing_2r_download(self)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/chirp/drivers/puxing.py", line 374, in puxing_2r_download
    raise errors.RadioError("Failed to communicate with radio: %s" % e)
RadioError: Failed to communicate with radio: Radio is not responding

ERROR: Clone failed: Failed to communicate with radio: Radio is not responding
ERROR: --- Exception Dialog: Failed to communicate with radio: Radio is not responding ---
ERROR: None

I can reproduce the above with both PX-2R devices that I have access to.

I read that PL-2303 cables normally do work on Linux.  Does anyone have
an idea what the problem could be?

Thanks
Christoph