[chirp_users] Setting CTCSS or Tone Codes

Jim Unroe
Tue Jan 5 16:21:38 PST 2021

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 6:56 PM John Elliott <kf7mue at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have completed these settings on my HAM radios just fine.  On the two GMRS-V1 and the GMRS 50X1 radios that I have, I was informed by those who have done it, to set the "Tone Mode" to "TSQL", the "Tone" to 141.3 (example), the "ToneSql" to 141.3, and the "Cross Mode" to "Tone->Tone."

This is incorrect. When you set "Tone Mode" to "TSQL" the CTCSS value
in the "ToneSql" field is used for both TX and RX. The value in the
"Tone" column is ignored.

The the CHIRP column guides linked to here:
https://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_CHIRP.php#guides

> The issue is, whenever I do this, the "Tone Mode" switches from "TSQL" now to "Cross" and the "Tone" is removed along with the "Tone->Tone".

The only reason that "Tone Mode" would change from "TSQL" to "Cross"
would be because the values selected in the "Tone" and ToneSql" fields
are different. If they were both set to 141.3 as in your example CHIRP
would leave the "ToneSql" field the same and blank the unused/ignored
"Tone" filed.

> Can anyone tell me am I setting this up incorrectly?  When uploading it with only the "Tone Mode" to "TSQL" and only the "ToneSql" tone number, leaving the "Cross Mode" blank, the radios will not open the repeaters.

Yes, you are setting this up incorrectly.

Tone Mode = Tone only uses the value in the Tone column
Tone Mode = ToneSql only used the value in the ToneSql column
Tone Mode = Cross and Cross Mode = Tone->Tone uses both the Tone
column and the ToneSql column but the tone values must be different.