[chirp_users] I am trying to programm my UV5R

Jim Unroe
Wed Aug 25 04:52:42 PDT 2021

Hi George,

On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 3:20 AM George Piek <georgepiek7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good day, I am trying to programm my UV5R but when I select upload to radio I have the small notification block which request the following.
> Port
> Vendor
> Model.
> I can select the port but it will not allow me to change vendor or model. What should i do?

This is because you are uploading. When you are uploading, CHIRP
already knows what Vendor/Model that currently selected tab is
compatible with. It is only that vendor/model combination that the
selected tab can be uploaded to so the Vendor: and Model: selections
are greyed out.

If the currently selected Vendor: and Model: selections do not match
the radio type that you are attempting to upload to, then the
currently selected tab is not compatible with your radio and should
not be uploaded to it.

You must always start by downloading from CHIRP to create a tab that
is compatible with your radio. From there you can save, load and edit
to suit your needs. Then when you go to upload back to your radio
there will be no need to change the Vendor: or Model: selections
because they are already set to the vendor/model selections that are
compatible with your radio.