[chirp_users] Enable the Settings Tab in CHIRP?

Jim Unroe
Fri Sep 4 13:06:02 PDT 2020

Hi Benjamin,

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 3:29 PM Benjamin <bbdowns at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been looking at some of the CHIRP tutorials on YT, and I notice
> that some radios like the Baofeng UV5R have a settings tab where global
> radio options can be set.
>
> I've set up CHIRP to work with a Yaesu VX-120 (using the vx-170 menu
> option - only a keypad difference between the two models) and can
> download\upload without issue, but I was wondering if I should be seeing
> a settings tab on the left. Not all radios seems to have this tab. Is it
> an optional developer feature, or can it be enabled?
>
> Nothing in the user manuals on this unless I've missed it.
>
> Either way, I like the software.
>
> Thanks.

There is no way to enable/disable a Settings tab. It will be displayed
if there is one available.

If there is no Settings tab, then the radio either has no global
settings (probably very rare) or the volunteer developer opted to only
support the per-channels settings or has not yet gotten to adding the
global settings.

If there is a Settings tab but the settings area is blank, most likely
there is a setting that is out of range causing an error. The error
can usually be determined by looking at the CHIRP debug.log file.