[chirp_users] CHIRP and VX-6: impossible to upload from Mac

Jim Unroe
Mon Nov 9 17:44:19 PST 2020

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 6:01 PM Giulio Marchi <emfdb at tiscali.it> wrote:

> > Il giorno 09 nov 2020, alle ore 23:34, Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com> ha scritto:
> >
> > Which USB-to-Serial chip is in your programming cable?
> >
> > Jim KC9HI
>
> Thanks, Jim. I checked the purchase I did three years ago and this is the cable
> https://www.ebay.it/itm/191915484997
> I have no more info and actually now it reads that it is Win compatible without any mention to Mac. I am pretty sure I already used it back then also with the Mac but eventually just with Windows.
>
> Anyway I can get more info?
>
> The reply to "ls /dev/cu*” is
> /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port /dev/cu.usbserial
> Not sure this helps either.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Giulio
> IU0BMW

The above ( /dev/cu.usbserial ) indicates that you have a programming
cable with a Prolific type USB-to-Serial chip. Genuine Prolific chips
are very rare in programming cable so the likelihood of your chip
being an unauthorized copy is very high. In that case you need to
purchase and use a 3rd party device driver. This is the one I bought
and installed on my macBook Air to use with my large variety of
programming cables with a "Prolific" chip.

https://www.mac-usb-serial.com/