[chirp_users] Grumpy old man.

Michael Downey N2UN
Fri May 8 09:27:20 PDT 2020

Hi Roger,

On Fri, May 8, 2020, at 08:59, Roger Hill wrote:
> What I don't understand with the current move to produce a 'flatpack'
> version of chirp, is why the effort is not being expended to migrate
> chirp to version 3 of Python. Python version 2 is end of life. Period.

I'd agree. Python 2 won't be supported any more which could prove problematic in many ways. IMHO, shipping a flatpak so Python 2 can still be provided should be seen more as "life support" and not a cure, which should still be a high priority for those that are able to do so. (We should remember that Python 3 was first released in December 2008.) :-)

The skills to create a flatpak are likely different than those needed to migrate to Python 3, so the efforts need not be mutually exclusive. There is an argument one could make for sticking with the flatpak approach even when Python is upgraded.

--
73,
Michael Downey N2UN