[chirp_users] Newest Chirp doesn't seem to work with Python 2.6.6 -- invalid syntax on the anytone778uv.py driver

Martin Cooper
Sat Jul 18 21:39:08 PDT 2020

Hi David,

Chirp is written for Python 2.7, which is why you're seeing the error.
Dictionary comprehensions were introduced with 2.7. It's possible that
you're just unlucky in trying to use a driver that uses a 2.7 feature, but
given that 2.7 is the target version, it's also quite possible that you'd
run into more problems if you worked around this one. (If you wanted to
try, google for dictionary comprehensions in 2.6, but don't be too
surprised if you hit something else shortly thereafter.)

That 2.7 is the target platform isn't well documented. There's a note in
the wiki for a Win32 dev env that says "chirp is currently written for
Python 2.7 and above", though in the same para it also says it "will
generally run on Python 2.6.x". That latter likely depends on the features
you want to use. The KK7DS Python runtime for Mac OSX, needed for Chirp on
a Mac, is also a packaging of Python 2.7.

Martin.
KD6YAM