[chirp_users] Programming Baofeng UV-5R

Sarge ex 7thAF
Fri Jan 17 14:28:52 PST 2020

Ken.
  Please tell us newbies what an image file is ? Is it the drop down that
says  Download From Radio ?

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 10:53 AM Kenneth Strom VA3KRS <va3krs at live.ca>
wrote:

> To start with there are many variations of this popular radio.  Check the
> model number first and go from there.  Do *NOT* ever try to program this
> radio with the wrong variation programming software.
>
> If it is in fact the basic "bare-bones" Baofeng UV-5R, there are 2
> variations, * Old* and *New*.  This can be checked easily.  You will have
> to perform a Firmware test on the radio.  Even if it is "new" it may be in
> fact old stock lying around for years or an old radio.
>
> Go to Miklor to check on the radio's firmware version before you proceed.
> This is very important.  The wrong software *will* brick up the radio.
>
> https://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-FWRelease.php
>
> Then you can proceed to program the radio.
>
> Like all radios, you must first get an "Image" file from the radio, and
> then you can program it as you please.
>
> Also, this "Image" file will be needed to reset the radio should it ever
> "Brick" up on you.  Just Factory reset the radio and resend this Image file
> to the radio and all should be okay.  In other words you resurrected the
> dead.
>
> *NEVER* should you buy a radio, take it out of the box and start playing
> with it.  This probably will mess it up internally.  *ALWAYS* first get
> that "Image" file and *THEN* program it.  This will save you a lot of
> grief later if the radio acts up.
>
> BTW, I have worked commercially on many radios over the past 40 years,
> mainly Midlands & Motorolas and cannot overemphasize the importance of
> saving this "Image" file.  It is particular to that radio alone only and
> not the one sitting next to it.
>
> Also, if perhaps you have several of the same model radio, save the
> "Image" file labelled with its' last 4 digits serial number, e.g.:
> UV5R_XXXX1234.img  Then you will know it came from that particular radio.
>
> This believe me will save your radio from being a "Brick" or cute-looking
> paperweight.
>
> Note all these recommendations work with all radio Models & Makes, Amateur
> & Commercial.
>
> Kenneth Strom  VA3KRS
>
> P.S.  Cheers to the over-worked Staff at CHIRP who do a tireless job at
> writing these endless programming files out.  Everyday it seems to be a new
> radio and new model out, mostly tireless variations of one or the other.
>
> Regarding DMR radios, most if not all models have very individual
> programming issues which is why you never see any common software.  Even RT
> Systems keeps postponing any DMR releases due to this.  Very few models can
> even import CSV files, so all mostly are manual programming and *DO NOT*
> make any slight errors or the radio simply does not work.  Make sure you
> download the correct Factory programming software for the radio, any
> Firmware updates, cable USB drivers before you even start playing with its'
> buttons.  If by accident you do then you will have to do a Factory reset
> before you can even save the Image file.

> [...]

Sarge KE5YPB, Lickskillet, Texas
  "All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
" Lets Roll " ---- Todd Beemer--- 9/11/01 ---  American Hero
Are you going to take a stand to help America?