[chirp_users] chirp_users Digest, Vol 133, Issue 8

Dave B
Sat Jan 11 16:21:14 PST 2020

"At the moment"...

I have some sympathy with Prolific, and FTDI who also have had their
chip's faked.  I personally have seen one chip marked up as FTDI, but
appeared to Windows as a Prolific chip!  The seller did the right thing,
at their expense.  I Feel sorry for them too.

It is I suspect, only a matter of time, before one Linux distro or other
also detects and blocks the use of such "fake" chips.  After that, all
the others will probably do so too.

I also have sympathy for people who bought a "product" unknowingly with
a fake chip in it.   "The Product" manufacturer should make things good,
but that rarely if ever happens.

Too many people loose out to the counterfeiters  in these cases.

73.

Dave G8KBV.

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software: