[chirp_users] Having troubles

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
Wed Feb 26 15:20:54 PST 2020

Jim's recommendation to use the gui is a good one.  Often the way
Linux commands are written is very confusing.  I think this is what is
happening.

As root, check who owns /dev/ttyUSB0.

It should say root:dialout - if its something other than dialout, you
have to be in that group.

sudo ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0\\

Does it say root:dialout?  If so go to next step, if it doesn't write
an email to the group.

Now let's add user holmzie to the dialout group, we have to do that as root.

sudo usermod -a -G dialout holmzie

If it says usermod command isn't installed, install it.

Otherwise, if no errors, reboot and then type groups in terminal and
you should have dialout in the results.

At the user prompt type:
groups

My system - which is different that yours, responds:
users lp floppy dialout audio video cdrom plugdev power netdev scanner sudo

But you will see dialout there.

73
DR
N1EA