[chirp_users] BTech 5X3

Jim Unroe
Thu Dec 31 12:42:37 PST 2020

Hi John,

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 2:05 PM John <subs at qcontinuum.plus.com> wrote:

> > I loaded all of the NOAA weather channels, but do not seem to get any reception on any of them, although I know they broadcast non-stop. Is there something else I need to do in the setup? Problem exists whether I scan (and do not skip channel) or input the frequency directly.
>
> You still haven't mentioned which country you are in. Although the satellites transmit most of the time, they are not geostationary so do not appear over your position all the time. You need to which satellites pass over your position and when they are due to pass over. You will only hear a signal during a pass. There are prediction programs you can download such as Gpredict and Orbitron to help you determine that.

Indirectly he did. NOAA weather radio is a land based service only in the USA.

> > Is there a way to link the frequency AND the corresponding channel name in the display, either on the A/B display lines (frequency on one and name on the other) or by toggling between frequency and channel mode to see both pieces of data on the same line (A or B)?
>
> In short, no. You can't display data for VFO A on the VFO B line or vice versa and you can't display frequency and channel name at the same time. There is, however, a workaround described here that may or may not be helpful:

Nearly every model in Baofeng Tech's (the radio dealer in the USA)
BTECH brand of radios, including the UV-5X3 mentioned here, has the
built-in SYNC feature that will automatically keep the A and B display
lines synchronized to the same channel. I believe the only BTECH
branded model without channel SYNC is the UV-50X3.