[chirp_users] BTech 5X3

John
Wed Dec 30 14:18:18 PST 2020

Rich,

>  1. What frequencies should I load into memory slots?

That will depend on your area of interest. Your radio is FM only so this
is likely to include local FM repeaters, any frequencies used by your
local club for its activities (e.g. "nets") and any that are of specific
interest that you therefore might end up using regularly. For example I
have the ISS (145.800) programmed into mine because I sometimes like to
receive SSTV images that they send out from time to time.

>  1. If I don’t load a frequency into a memory slot, does that mean I
>     can’t RX/TX on that frequency?

Not at all. Programming a frequency into a memory just allows you easily
recall it by name or memory slot number. When programming in a repeater
frequency you can also conveniently set the offset and CTCSS tone. On an
analog radio you should be able to tune in to any frequency within its
range and listen in but the radio will need to be in VFO mode as opposed
to memory mode. The UV-5R has an orange button on the front to allow you
to switch between the two modes. Once you are licensed as a radio
amateur you can also Tx but be aware that your license will allow you to
transmit within the amateur radio bands only. For example, your radio
covers the PMR frequency range, but it is unlikely to be legal to
transmit on those frequencies using this radio because it is not
designed to PMR radio specifications and exceeds the max power output
that is legally permitted for PMR transmissions. Don't assume that just
because the radio is capable or a band is license free, that it is
automatically OK to transmit on it. Details for the Rx and Tx frequency
ranges the radio is capable of should be covered in the manual, but it
is also worth being familiar with the bandplan and regulations governing
usage in your country. Going off subject a little here perhaps but it is
good to be aware.

> How do I know what frequencies to use for repeaters in my area (or
> outside of my area)?

To find repeaters in your country/area you could have a look at
https://repeaterbook.com/.

> BTW, this is for a mobile Mirkit Baofeng UV-5R MK5 radio.

Its a good choice for a first transceiver and to have a general listen
around.

--
John. Ch.