[chirp_users] BTech 5X3

Kramarik at Earthlink.net
Thu Dec 31 11:44:33 PST 2020

Jim,
Thanks for the manual, which I did not have, and other feedback. It helps a
lot. However, menu #24 does not appear to be a "SYNC" option, but rather an
"AUTOLOCK" option. Am I missing something?

Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com
<chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com> On Behalf Of Jim Unroe
Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2020 12:48 PM
To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] BTech 5X3

> In the FRS/GMRS category, it loaded what appears to be identical
frequencies for 20 channels in each of these groups (Channel 1-20 for each
group is the same). Is there a reason for this redundancy or can I delete
one range?

FRS requires all channels to be NFM. GMRS includes the available repeaters.
Otherwise the frequencies, since the recent rules change, are the same. This
radio is neither an FRS or GMRS radio, keep what you want, remove what you
don't want.

> I loaded all of the NOAA weather channels, but do not seem to get any
reception on any of them, although I know they broadcast non-stop. Is there
something else I need to do in the setup? Problem exists whether I scan (and
do not skip channel) or input the frequency directly.

No. If you can't pick up a NOAA frequency in VFO mode by directly entering a
frequency, then this is not a CHIRP issue.

> Is there a way to jump directly to a specific channel in memory, instead
of having to step through one at a time using the arrow keys?

Key in the 3 digit channel number. To go to channel 73, key in [0][07][3].
Also not a CHIRP issue.

> Is there a way to link the frequency AND the corresponding channel name in
the display, either on the A/B display lines (frequency on one and name on
the other) or by toggling between frequency and channel mode to see both
pieces of data on the same line (A or B)?

Yes. Read the manual. It is menu 24 (SYNC).
Detailed Menu Definitions: https://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_MenuDef.php

> Once I load all the desired frequencies from the Chirp stock configuration
lists into memory, do I need to modify any of the individual column settings
that were loaded into each frequency line?

You should. For example the NOAA channels and any other channels that you do
not/should not transmit on should have Duplex set to "off".
GMRS repeater channels may require a CTCSS tone or DTCS tone. It is all
dependent on your location and what your requirements are. For example I set
all of the transmitting channels to the LOW power level and only toggle to
the HIGH power level when necessary by tapping the [#] key.