[chirp_users] Database import from Radioreference.com

John
Fri Dec 18 03:16:22 PST 2020

Dean,

The Chirp software is written in the Python programming language and the
patch file was created by its author using the 'diff' tool. The diff
tool compares the modified copy of the source (.py) file(s) (in this
case x3 files) to the original source files and creates a 'patch file'
that records the differences. This is useful because those differences
can then be applied by anyone who has an unpatched version of the source
files on their computer by using the 'patch' tool. This is a common
approach among open source developers for distributing patches so its
worth being aware of how they work. In this instance someone has kindly
shared a list of changes they to their copy of Chirp in a form that can
be applied automatically by anyone with the appropriate tool.

However, there is a caveat. You do not mention whether you are using
Windows, Mac or Linux? This patch file applies to the original Python
(.py) program files. On most Unix based systems, Python is installed by
default and as it is commonly used by various system tools. The Chirp
program is supplied as a series of .py files along with various other
supplementary files. On my computer I found the Chirp directory at:

/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/chirp

The patch file would need to be copied there and then the patch tool
would be run. The most basic invocation is:

patch -i addRadioRefCanadaSearch.patch

This would apply modifications to the three .py files listed at the
start of the patch file. Before applying the patch, it is usually good
to first make a copy of the contents of the original directory in case
something goes wrong. This will work for Linux and probably on Mac,
although you will need to find the location for the program directory on
the Mac.

However, on Windows, Chirp is supplied as a binary (.exe) program and
its dependencies (required supplemental packages) including Python 2.7
are packaged into a series of .dll files. The program is provided in a
very different form so that it will run in Windows. That patch file will
unfortunately not work with the Windows version, neither the installer
nor the .zip version. I do not have sufficient knowledge of how Chrip
has been packaged for Windows to be able to help. Maybe someone else
does or you will have to wait for the author to include the patch in the
next official version.

Regards.

John.