[chirp_users] Install issues

w4rss at radioclub.org
Fri Apr 10 08:14:25 PDT 2020

Quoting Tony Fuller <goldstar611 at hotmail.com>:

> Well sometimes you can go into
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dansmith-ubuntu-chirp-snapshots-blahblahblah
> and change "focal" to "bionic", save the file and cross your fingers.
>
> In this case apt-get update works but apt-get install fails because
> python2, libxml2, pygtk and pyserial are not installed. (Probably
> others but I stopped after digging)
>
> Long story short, python2 and all of the baggage was dropped in
> Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal Fossa) and some things need to be compiled from
> source now. (I think)
>
> Bad news: I wasn't able to compile pygtk dependencies from source
> (Cairo and gobject)
>
> I may try apt-source tomorrow but expect more rabbit holes there too.
>
> If anyone gets Chirp on Ubuntu 20.04 I'd be interested in knowing
> how to do that :)
>
> Tony
> ________________________________

That's kind of what I figured, Tony.  I now remember reading that
somewhere. It looks like there maybe a workaround in the works once
the final version is released.  I found the follwing on fosslinux.com:

"The latest word from Matthias Klose, the Debian developer who has
been coordinating much of the Python 2 removal effort, is that
libpython-dev, python, python-minimal, and other packages no longer
exist as part of the python-defaults package in the Ubuntu 20.04
archive.

The official Ubuntu 20.04 LTS release slated for April will not
include these packages.  For other packages, python2-minimal along
with another python* packages exist to satisfy Python 2 dependencies.
A new python-pointing-topython2 package that points to python is
anticipated for the Ubuntu “Focal” repository."

Another "wait and see" I guess.

Dick
W4RSS