[chirp_users] Baofeng A58S tri-band

Jim Unroe
Wed Sep 4 14:02:53 PDT 2019

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 4:49 PM Nick G4IRX <g4irx9 at nowindows.net> wrote:

> On 04/09/2019 21:08, Jim Unroe wrote:
> >> Hi Jim,
> >>
> >> Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately neither of those models work.
> >>
> >> BTech/UV-5X3 = "Error reading data from radio: not the amount of data we want."
> >>
> >> Radioddity/UV-5RX3 = "Radio did not respond"
> >>
> >> Nick.
> > Then you most likely have a driver/cable issue to solve.
> >
> > If you are running Windows and bought a cheap programming cable
> > manufactured with a Prollific chip, have you downloaded, installed and
> > selected the older Prolific V3.2.0.0 device driver? The device driver
> > that is automatically installed by Windows is crippled when used with
> > a counterfeit Prolific chip
>
> I'm familiar with the above issue. Chirp and the programming cable (FTDI
> USB serial adaptor and Kenwood compatible cable) work fine with
> everything else I have and is set to COM4.
>
> > Does the factory programming software work?
>
> So far I've not managed to find this anywhere. I've contacted the seller
> and awaiting their response. https://baofengradio.co.uk is the site
> where I saw some of the software available but it's offline today.
>
> Thanks for your help so far Jim.
>
> 73, Nick.

I would try the Radioddity website. Choose the programming software
for the UV-5RX3.

https://www.radioddity.com/pages/baofeng-download

The UV-5R factory software should also work. There is no difference in
the cloning protocol between a UV-5RX3 type radios and a UV-5R and
both use the same driver. It just doesn't have support for editing 220
MHz frequencies.