[chirp_users] BF-F8HP_downloading to radio_help needed

Jim Unroe
Wed Sep 4 05:41:21 PDT 2019

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 2:18 AM Audrey Davidson <ke5wqa at gmail.com> wrote:

> I download the CHIRP freeware to my Mac and started entering repeater locations. I saved the file on my computer. I have the programming cord attached from my Mac to radio. However, I can't download to my radio because that option is not available (shaded).
>
> Is CHIRP available as a website, so I can download my lists from there to my radio?
>
> Thanks for your help. You can also tell me the month, year and thread that you answered this question before.

Hi Audrey,

You have the download/upload terminology reversed. You "download" from
your radio to your computer and you "upload" from your computer to
your radio.

You must first download from your radio to your computer to created a
tab that is compatible with your radio. The tab will say "Baofeng
BF-F8HP;" followed by "*.img" if it was freshly downloaded from the
radio the file name if it was loaded from a saved file. You first
successful download should be saved, unedited, to a file to be kept in
a safe place as a backup. Once this is done, you can start making
changes.

The file that you created is a *.CSV file and a CSV file can't be
directly uploaded to a Baofeng BF-F8HP (or any other model that
programmed in "clone" mode).

So that you don't lose what you already have, you should load your CSV
file into tab. Then download from your BF-F8HP into a 2nd tab. Now you
can copy-and-paste your memories from the *.CSV tap to the Baofeng
BF-F8HP tab. Once you have the other settings configured how you like,
you can upload the Baofeng BF-F8HP tab back into the radio.