[chirp_users] Rs: setting up a uv-5ra via Chirp

Jim Unroe
Tue Oct 15 10:00:03 PDT 2019

Hi Steve,

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 12:13 PM Steve <kc7byp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jim. Thanks for all of that info. I have never programmed any ht or any other radio via a pc software and interface cable before. You made things a lot more clear to me.

Helping others out is what this mailing list is for and why many of us
monitor it. I'm glad my reply was useful.

> The Baofeng ht is my 1st one. The only part about getting the Baofeng back to the way it was before the #40 reset was hit accidentally. By the way I think the #40 should have have some extra layer, like (do you really want to do this) or something.

It sort of does. You have to press [MENU] twice to make it "reset".

[MENU][4][0][MENU][MENU]

The first press of [MENU] allows you to choose which part of the radio
you want to "reset", ALL or VFO. The second press of [MENU] resets the
chosen part of the radio. You can bail out by pressing the [EXIT] key
at any time prior to the 3rd press of [MENU]. So it really isn't
something that can be done by "accident".

>  is re-setting up the (B) lower display. The (B) display was set with the words showing "FRS1" (and the little memory ch number to the right) and the frequency of 462.5625 in that memory ch and the next memory ch was FRS2 and the frequency for FRS2 and on up to FRS22.  I don't know how to set this up. I have a group of friends (none are ham operators) when we go hunting I have a bunch of FRS ht's. I let them use the FRS ht's and I carry the Baofeng ht. The Baofeng does FRS frequencies. The setup worked very well. I need to know how to get the (B) display back the way it was.

When in MR (channel) mode, you can change the Memory Display Format
(MDF) at any time to whichever format you want. Most user like to have
one display line formatted to show NAME and the other display line
formatted to show FREQ. But some like to see them both set to NAME.

You can use menu 21 (MDF-A) and/or menu 22 (MDF-B) to set either MDF
that way you each display line formatted. The choices are CHAN, NAME
and FREQ.

As I explained in my earlier reply, you can also set each display
line's MDF using CHIRP .

Settings -> Basic Settings -> Display Mode (A): (Channel | Name | Frequency)
Settings -> Basic Settings -> Display Mode (B): (Channel | Name | Frequency)

If you set your MDF-A and MDF-B up using the radio's menus and want
them to stay that way, don't forget to download the changes to CHIRP
and save them. Otherwise the next time you upload changes from your
saved CHIRP Radio Images (*.img) file, they will be set back to the
way CHIRP has them stored in the above mentioned settings.