[chirp_users] UV50X2

Jim Unroe
Mon Nov 25 08:00:48 PST 2019

Darby,

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 11:59 PM Darby Collier <collier.darby at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Here are the two images. Also I know beyond the scope of CHIRP probably at this point so thank you again. I see it still reverts to those two ghost channels.  Also interesting is that when the radio reboots after upload and download, the A and B channels are both then on channel 0 (programmed as 2m Calling) every single time. I guess because the channels it thinks it is are not even programmed at all....

What you might try is copying channel 0 to channel 191 and channel 1
into channel 144 to see what happens after the cloning process
completes.

> I did as you instructed and changed them manually both to 15. When I try to do that via the number pad by typing 015 (on both channels it does this) it beeps and goes to 014 instead so I had to manually scroll up to 15 to change it. Even still...as you can see the radio is  h changing them to channels 191 and 144 which are not programmed at all.....I did not change "uploaded" image from what I have sent already. This is what downloads from the radio....

Unfortunately these radios don't select 1 digit and 2 digit channel
numbers from the keypad the same way that a typical Baofeng handheld
radio does by keying in the full 3 digit channel number (pressing
[0][0][7] to select channel 7 or [0][1][5] to select channel 15 as in
your example). What I have found the most reliable is to keep tapping
the first digit of the channel number you want until you see that
digit currently selected as the single digit channel number and then
follow it with any remaining digits.

To select channel 15
Tap [1]  # if the small channel number displayed shows " 11" or "111"
then repeat this step
Tap [5]

But as you have noticed, more often than not, the radio will beep and
the channel will change to 14. This is clearly a bug in the radio.

None of the bits flipped after you manually selected channel 15 on
both display lines. Your radio definitely has the bytes for the MR A
channel: and MR B channel: display lines stuck on channels 191 and 144
respectively. The radio appears only to read these bytes when it boots
because it sounds like the radio works normally otherwise, right.

This is nothing that CHIRP can overcome. My only recommendation would
be use channels 191 and 144 as your preselected "call" channels for MR
A channel: and MR B channel:.