[chirp_users] Truth or Fiction Kenwood radios

Gary Craig
Tue May 28 07:01:19 PDT 2019

Pavel,
Thanks for the info on the Kenwood TK series.  I was given a TK-762HG and saw it was supported in Chirp.  Looking forward to programming it.  Is the hack for the 12 channels included in the driver?  Mine has 8.

Be blessed!
May 2019 be our year of change & growth!

Gary Craig  KI5CCD
Maintenance
Webco Industries
Texas Distribution
750 Martin Luther King Jr Dr
Orange, TX 77630-3094
409-886-0807 ext. 107
Fax 918-246-7045

gcraig at webcotube.com

-----Original Message-----
From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com <chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com> On Behalf Of Pavel Milanes Costa
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 8:36 AM
To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Truth or Fiction

This email originated from an external sender. Use caution when following links or opening attachments as they could be malicious

El 24/5/19 a las 18:27, John Kemker escribió:
> I find it hard to believe that they don't have as good a software
> standard as less-expensive brands.

I was not eager to take a side here, but...

I'm developing a driver (CHIRP) for an old  Yaesu/Vertex Radio family right now (FTL 1011/2011/7011) and there a BUG in the firmware, they DON'T Validate the radio info once I pass to the program space...

I can program a 2011 like if a 7011 and vice versa... there is an old hack to convert any of them from 4 to 8 to 12 channels on SOFTWARE, etc..

"less-expensive brands?"

I developed the driver for Commercial Grade Kenwood TK-x60/x70 & TK-x60G/x70G families (for CHIRP) and there is a lack of validation out there in the same aspect...

In fact for YEARS fleet/ham operators knows that ANY of the in that familly can be programed like a x78 and you will get features that ONLY that radio has... yes I can program a TK-760G and get all the features of a TK-768G (A key for low power, true reverse, etc...) and the radios are happy with that...

[The OEM software HIDE the key features for particular radios but the functions are there, I have given ACCESS to that functions in CHIRP, once you know that all of them uses the same firmware, literally: the same firmware...]

The TK-790 is another monster [never completed the driver for it...], better programmed, locks on the important things, a separate mode for firmware, but has a quirk or two also...

As many of the previous OM said: Fast, Reliable, Cheap; pick just two of them.

Cheers, Pavel CO7WT.