[chirp_users] Updated - In reference to Bug # 5027 - New Baofeng BF-888s started in English, but after being programmed they got stuck on Chinese and couldn't change back to English.

Dan Jolley
Sat May 11 09:58:03 PDT 2019

 Scott, I wish it was that easy. The BF-888s manual says "ON CHANNEL 15, PRESS AND HOLD THE PTT AND MONI BUTTONS WHILE SWITCHING ON THE TRANSEIVER TO CHANGE THE VOICE PROMPT LANGUAGE (CHI / ENG)". That does work, but the first time you load an image it goes back to Chinese. You tried and I thank you for your help. Feel free if you have any other thoughts or ideas. There must be something in the software or firmware in the new BF-888s causing this. There is no menu on this radio, just the power/volume, channel, PTT, monitor button and the button that turns the little LED on. These are very cheap simple radios. You can look them up on Amazon.

Dan

    On Saturday, May 11, 2019, 11:17:24 AM CDT, Scott Raines <TRUCK28ENG at live.com> wrote:

Maybe I’ve come in, in the middle of this conversation but, in my Baofeng, UV-5R 8 watt version (not the BF-8), all I do for  a language change is, hit menu, then use the arrows to scroll to the item number that changes the language from Chinese to English. Hit menu again, change it, hit menu again to “confirm” what change I’ve made, then hit “exit”. Done. Is it different in other model Baofengs?

Scott

From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com [mailto:chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com]On Behalf Of Dan Jolley via chirp_users
Sent: Saturday, May 11, 2019 4:36 AM
To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
Subject: [chirp_users] Updated - In reference to Bug # 5027 - New Baofeng BF-888s started in English, but after being programmed they got stuck on Chinese and couldn't change back to English.

Update May 11, 2019 - I got in touch with Amazon Product Support and they had a new BF-888s PDF Manual to download. I got to the part that said "ON CHANNEL 15, PRESS AND HOLD THE PTT AND MONI BUTTONS WHILE SWITCHING ON THE TRANSEIVER TO CHANGE THE VOICE PROMPT LANGUAGE (CHI / ENG)".

I loaded the original Chinese image in English, then I loaded an image that I knew was already in English, but it was in Chinese. After doing the instructions, the image went back to English. So all the things I tried were in vain.

I went back and read the BF-888s manual from 2016 and those instructions were there too, but I missed it. But I figured you guys already knew about it. I just thought I'd pass this along to others who did not know about it.

Dan Jolley