[chirp_users] In reference to Bug # 5027 - New Baofeng BF-888s started in English, but after being programmed they got stuck on Chinese and couldn't change back to English.

Dan Jolley
Fri May 10 14:18:14 PDT 2019

Well ya'll, I finally got it working. Besides CHIRP, I had a couple of old BF-888s Chinese programs that would normally change it to English, but these would not, and I still don't know why. These radios definitely have a bug in the software!

I assume ya'll have enough original factory images from the Baofeng BF-888s so I don't have to supply any and you can reference them.

I took care to test for English or Chinese as I ran these tests.

Test 1 - I entered all FRS frequencies and removed the Chinese Frequencies. I noticed as I installed the FRS frequencies, all of the characters in the other colums went away and I never lost the English from the radio. (the characters in the original image columns).

Test 2 - Removed all Tone Modes.

Test 3 - Changed the mode from NM to NFM

Test 4 - Removed all skipped channels.

So now I have 2 new working BF-888s that Amazon dropped off at lunch. I can't think of anything better to do on this cold wet rainy day... it took me 3 hours to get it to work. I'll leave the technical aspect why they didn't work to the pros & programmers.
I could have given you an already working image but I put a lot of work into this. Here's the working image. I know there's more info to add into the lists & columns, so someone may encounter the Chinese again.
I didn't fix it, I got the radios so I could program the FRS channels in them, and it started working.