[chirp_users] chirp-daily yaesu ft-991 not present

Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF
Sun Mar 17 15:40:49 PDT 2019

The driver kenwood_live.py uses CAT commands with a number of Kenwood transceivers.

> On 17 March 2019 at 13:18 Dan Clemmensen <danclemmensen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     I just looked at the FT-991 manual: I have been making a bunch of incorrect assumptions. In contrast to the (very few) radios I know about, the FT-991 uses a well-documented data transfer protocol called CAT. CHIRP in general is oriented toward radios with undocumented "memory image transfer" protocols. It is in theory possible to implement a CHIRP driver for the FT-991 without first performing the protocol analysis step. If there is already a worked example of a CHIRP driver that supports a radio using CAT, then support for the FT-991 "should" be easy. I'm not sure where to start looking, though.
>
>     In my ignorance, I did not realize that the RMS software probably implements CAT for the FT-991, so Amerigo likely assumed that CHIRP would do the same. The use of CAT appears to put the FT-991 into the category of a "live mode" radio instead of being a "clone mode" radio, And I'm only familiar with CHIRP "clone mode".
>
>     On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 12:39 PM Dennis Wage < dwage at dwage.com mailto:dwage at dwage.com > wrote:
>
>         > >         I think what he meant was:
> >         my problem is now the chirp for program the Yaesu FT-991 via Cat ( USB-USB ), under Windows 10 with RMS Software no problem,
> >
> >         This means he has used the 991 with RMS with the USB to USB cable showing us that it works.
> >
> >          in the actual chirp version i did not can choose the FT-991 from the dropdown list.
> >
> >         This means he can't choose it because it's not there.
> >
> >         Dennis M. Wage (W9BOQ)
> >
> >         245 Corum Hill Road
> >         Castalian Springs, TN 37031
> >         (615) 310-4242  Cell
> >         http://hammondb3organ.net/
> >
> >         http://overdubs.net
> >

> >         On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 12:24 PM Dan Clemmensen < danclemmensen at gmail.com mailto:danclemmensen at gmail.com > wrote:
> >
> >             > > >             Amerigo, I don't completely understand your question. CHIRP is not a subsisitute for RMS (Winlink) software. Instead, CHIRP replaces or augments the Yaesu programming software for for your radio. You can possibly (probably) run your RMS Windows software on your Linux Mint system by running it under Wine, and you can almost certainly run the Yaesu software under Wine.

> [...]

Nigel A. Gunn, 1865 El Camino Drive, Xenia, OH 45385-1115, USA. tel +1 937 825 5032
Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF and GMRS WRBV701, e-mail nigel at ngunn.net www http://www.ngunn.net