[chirp_users] Rugged Radio RM25

Jim Unroe
Wed Mar 6 13:55:40 PST 2019

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 3:29 PM Kevin Bailey <kfbtaz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Having issue connecting to radio to download and upload frequencies.
>
> Sent radio back to rugged and they programed for me.
>
> Using Windows 10, Chirp version 20190304.
> Selected QTY KT8900 and Wacxom mini 8900.
>
> Thanks in advance for some advise.

It would help if you would supply the exact error message and/or
attach the CHIRP debug.log file.

Just guessing at a few common things that could be the problem...

1. If the programming cable you purchased was manufactured with an
unauthorized copy of a Prolific type USB-to-TTL chip, the device
driver that is automatically installed by Windows is intentionally
incompatible with that chip as a form of copy protection. You would
need to download, install and select an older Prolific device driver
that was available before the Prolific company decided to defend
against counterfeiters of their chips. The Prolific v3.2.0.0 device
driver is the version most commonly used. Device manager should show
you if the device driver installed for your programming cable is from
Prolific or not, and if it is, which version of the device driver is
installed. If it higher than v3.3.2.105, then it will need to be
downgraded to the older device driver.

2. The radio may have an MCU Version that CHIRP doesn't recognize. In
that case, you will have to open an CHIRP issue and provide the
MCU-Version of your radio so a developer can have it added. If
communications is working properly, it should be possible to get the
MCU-Version from the debug.log file. Another way would be to download
the channels and settings to the factory software. The MCU-Version is
usually displayed in the status bar across the bottom of the window.
Also, if the factory software doesn't work, then that would also
indicate the problem is not a software issue and is definitely a
driver/cable issue.