[chirp_users] Rules, Radio capabilities, and CHIRP capabilities

Christopher Knowles
Mon Jun 24 07:36:07 PDT 2019

Point well taken.  We are not a group of enforcers; but we are a group
of educators.  We should neither encourage nor discourage behavior.  But
we should take the opportunity to educate.  Every radio operator,
regardless of jurisdiction, should know the rules and make a conscious
choice as to whether or not to obey them, understanding that actions
have consequences.  Chris, N1CAK

On 6/24/2019 10:19 AM, Dan Clemmensen wrote:
> Colleagues: Our community is interested in three different things, and
> I feel we need to do a better job of separating them, because
> different folks have different situations.
>
> Rules: we are not all US Hams. Some are not US and some are not Hams.
> the rules and regulations differ by jurisdiction and depend on both
> the hardware you are using and the licences you hold. It may (or may
> not) be useful to comment on the rules, but when you do, please make
> sure you mention which jurisdiction, licence, and hardware.
>
> Radio capabilities: Each radio has its own hardware capabilities. Some
> of these capabilities interact with the rules in some jurisdictions,
> and sometimes rules change. There is no reason we cannot discuss
> hardware capabilities independently of the rules, since those
> capabilities are still usable in some jurisdictions and/or to some
> users under some circumstances.
>
> CHIRP capabilities: Hey, this is the CHIRP user group! We can and
> should discuss any CHIRP capabilities that may be usable by some CHIRP
> users in some situations. It is the responsibility of each user to
> understand the governing rules. It is not the responsibility of the
> CHIRP software or the CHIRP user community to attempt to enforce these
> rules, especially since the rules you are trying to enforce may not be
> applicable to the users you are addressing. A brief sentence to note
> that a particular capability may violate a rule in a particular
> situation may be acceptable if it becomes obvious that the user might
> need the reminder.
>
> (Thanks for your attention. I will get down off of my soapbox now.)

Christopher Allan Knowles, MPA
P.O. Box 4632
Vineyard Haven, MA  02568

Please find my LinkedIn profile at:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/chris-knowles-99aba51a/

Staff Sergeant, United States Air Force, 1970 - 1974

Call Sign:  N1CAK - Amateur Extra Class
	    Accredited Volunteer Examiner (VE)