[chirp_users] Transmit UV5r to FRS

Todd J. Unkefer
Thu Jun 20 15:26:22 PDT 2019

Let me rephrase this question.
I legally purchased 10 motorola talkabout radios.
I legally purchased a Baofeng UV 5r to communicate with different radios, legally.
I appreciate the hypervigilance and concern for legalities, but my question remains.
Please, anyone not referring directly to how to broadcast on a legal frequency, refrain from responding.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 6:14 PM
To: Discussion of CHIRP
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Transmit UV5r to FRS

We also do not want to be accomplices in the commission of a crime.
§95.335   Operation of non-certified transmitters prohibited.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=513d144496fe583b1100416953ca419f&mc=true&node=se47.5.95_1335&rgn=div8

GMRS and FRS regulations have changed, but unlicensed FRS does not permit any radio that has a removable antenna.  Also radios have to be certified under FCC Part 95.  UV-5R isn't on the list, and FCC is planning on banning the import of any radio capable of being used on a frequency that the unit is not licensed for.  That is if it isn't an amateur radio, in the future any radio imported will only be able to be used on amateur radio frequencies.

Also in the near future, radios will not be legally allowed to be manufactured, imported , or sold that can be used on BOTH GMRS and FRS.  This is going to cause a problem for licensed amateur radio operators  who own such radios, like I do:
§95.1791   Sales of GMRS/FRS combination radios prohibited.
     (a) Effective September 30, 2019, no person shall be permitted to manufacture or import, sell or offer for sale any radio equipment capable of operating under both this subpart (GMRS) and subpart B (FRS) of this chapter.

FRS allows 2 watts or less on channels 1 – 7 and the previously GMRS only channels of 15 – 22, but only 0.5 watts on channels 8 – 14.
GMRS licensees can use up to 50 watts, but there are somewhat complicated restrictions and an FCC 10 year renewable license (good for entire family) is needed. GMRS licensees can also operate on 8 additional repeater frequencies.

The regulations for GMRS are quite complicated. https://ecfr.io/Title-47/se47.5.95_11767

I think the past practice of this group not to provide such information to unlicensed persons is a wise one.

73
David N1EA