[chirp_users] DMR CHIRP suggestions

Tom Hayward
Wed Jul 3 11:10:59 PDT 2019

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 10:10 AM Gary Craig <gcraig at webcoindustries.com>
wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Check out http://www.miklor.com/DMR/ .  Also
> https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home .  That will show
> you a list of supported radios.  It is my understanding that no DMR radios
> are supported in Chirp because of their design.  The Miklor site has info
> on programming the DMR radios.  Hope this helps...

The underlying issue here is that Chirp has a common user interface for
putting conventional channels into a large set of radios. But the goal of
DMR is not to program a set of conventional channels, but to make a list of
talkgroups and assign those to channels. Fundamentally, this is very
different from what Chirp can do now, so adding support for a DMR radio
would be a large project, and no one has volunteered for that work.

Tom KD7LXL