[chirp_users] Tyt 9800 Update

Gary Craig
Tue Jan 22 06:54:42 PST 2019

Glenn,
I will help you out on the microphone keys.  As with the keys on the radio some of the mike keys are programmable.

In the picture of the mike, the PTT button on the left is numbered 1 and the description of the other keys goes in a clockwise numbering system. The next key, 2, it the top left, key 3 top right. The number 4 is assigned to the MIC which is located top right face of the unit between the TYT identification label and the keys in the keypad. 5 is the top key on the right side, 6 is the bottom key on the right side.  7 points to the number and letter keys, 8 points to the 4 programmable keys at the bottom of the keypad.
1. PTT                                  Press the key to transmit.
2. DWN                               Decrease channel number or setting value.
3. UP                                   Increase channel number or setting value.
4. MIC                                 Speak here during transmission.
5. LOCK                               Locks out the microphone buttons except keys 0 - 9 and PTT.
6. LAMP                              Illuminates the microphone keypad.
7. Number Key                  Input channel number or DTMF dial out etc.        Note: it shows the normal phone keypad layout 1,2,3 at the top row and *,0,# on the bottom row.  Then it shows 4 keys beside that set in a single column starting with A at the                                                                                                                                            top and D at the bottom.  There is no explanation of those 4 keys in the chart.  They might function the same as the letter keys on the radio face for the Hyper Memory.

8. Programmable Keys    User-defined functions Keys, Default:                     Note: the layout of these keys is different than the rest.  The left most key is P1, then there appears to be a raised piece at its bottom right corner and the P2 key is diagonally                                                                                                                                                down and to the right with its top left corner touching the raised piece.  The P3 key is diagonally above and to the right with its bottom left corner almost touching the top right                                                                                                                                              of the P2 key.  I appears to be in a section with the P4 key which is slightly angle upward to the right, and the P4 key is to the right of it separated by a space.  The top right                                                                                                                                                     corner of it is below the D letter key.
P1:         switch the "Main" band between the left and right display.
P2:         switch the frequency control for the Main band between VFO and Memory mode.
P3:         press repeatedly to select the CTCSS or DCS mode on the "Main" band.
P4:         press repeatedly to select the TX power output level on the "Main" band.

The manual programming function for these keys is as follows.  Hopefully they can also be programmed in Chirp.
1. Press the [SET] key to enter the Menu mode.  Remember the [SET] key is the center one on the bottom of the radio face.
2. Rotate the "Main" band DIAL to select the Menu # 19 - # 22 to be configured (# 19 PG P1, # 20 PG P2, #21 PG P3, # 22 PG P4).  Hopefully this can be done in Chirp as well...
3. Press the "Main" band DIAL knob, then rotate the "Main" band DIAL to select the function you wish to assign to the button you selected in the previous step.
Note: there is a chart that lists the 12 functions you can chose from. I'm hoping it is like the process for programming the radio keys in that the first one in the chart is what will be displayed when you press the knob, then you make one click clockwise with the knob to access each of the successive functions.  Again i hope you can do this in Chirp so you can "see" the choices.
4. Press the [SET] key to save the new setting and select another programmable button to modify, and repeat the above steps.
5. Press the [SET] key to save the setting(s) and exit to the normal operation.

Here is the list of functions you can chose from:
SCAN                    Activate the Scanner on the "Main" band.
SQL.OFF               Opens the Squelch on the "Main" band to allow un-muted reception.
TCALL                   Activates 1750 Hz Tone Burst (1000/1450/1750/2100 Hz tone can be selected in the programming software).
RPTR                     Selects Repeater Shift direction of the "Main" band.
PRI                        Activates the Priority feature on the "Main" band.
LOW                     Selects the transmit power output level on the "Main" band.
TONE                    Activates the CTCSS or DCS operation on the "Main" band.
MHZ                      Allows tuning in 1 MHz step on the "Main" band.
REV                       Reverses the TX and RX frequencies during split-frequency operation.
HOME                  Switches operation to the "Home" channel on the "Main" band.
BAND                   Switch the "Main" band of operation between the "left" band and "right" band.
VFO/MR               Switches the frequency control between the VFO and Memory modes on the "Main" band.

Be blessed!
May 2019 be our year of change & growth!

Gary Craig
Maintenance
Webco Industries
Texas Distribution