[chirp_users] Problem with CHIRP under Ubuntu Linux

Dan Clemmensen
Sun Jan 13 10:20:18 PST 2019

I also purchased a $24 Baofeng from Amazon, and then faked up a cable and
got it to communicate with CHIRP under Linux. I think I made every possible
mistake first, so after you are sure Linux has recognized your USB cable,
check the following:
1) Push the plugs in to the radio really hard. If there is still an air
gap, it's not in far enough
2) Tune the radio to an unused channel and set the squelch. Apparently, the
serial signal on the cable is shared with the speaker signal.
3) turn the volume all the way up. (see 2 above).
I found these instructions in the CHIRP setup messages for the radio.

My faked cable simply connects the 3.3V serial port TxD and RxD from my
Raspberry Pi GPIO via 2k resistors, and GND, to the proper plug pins on the
Baofeng: no USB at all. This works because Baofeng uses 3.3V serial. This
is NOT a serial standard but has become a de facto standard for modern CMOS
direct serial connections. In addition to converting USB to serial, a
programming cable also converts to the proper voltages plug pinouts for the
specific radios the cable is specified for.