[chirp_users] Problem with CHIRP under Ubuntu Linux

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
Sun Jan 13 09:58:29 PST 2019

Yes, do try pushing the cable into your radio with more force, there is an
issue of some cables not fitting the radio very well.

I forgot about this, otherwise proceed to my message about seeing if you're
in the right group in your Ubuntu installation.

This is a normal usual step, often people do not read the various pages
 explaining how to install CHIRP.

CHIRP has such a page:
https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Running_Under_Linux

It also says under Ubuntu the serial ports are in group "dialout" and tells
you how to get your user into that group.  Don't change  "$USERNAME" that's
just a universal shortcut for the user's username.
In terminal do this:  sudo addgroup "$USERNAME" dialout

*serial port permissions*
Note that you may need to adjust permissions on the /dev/tty(something)
device, or add your users who want to use Chirp to the "dialout" group in
order to let non-privileged users access the serial device.

This issue is often indicated by an "access denied" error when accessing
serial port.

On most Linux distros this is accomplished with:

sudo addgroup "$USERNAME" dialout

You will then need to log out and back in for it to take effect.

Regards,

David