[chirp_users] chirp_users Digest, Vol 117, Issue 16

Dave B
Mon Sep 24 00:55:42 PDT 2018

Indeed, so why are we indirectly promoting the use of counterfeit
devices then?

If the chip is "Genuine", the currently available "Official" driver,
/will/ work.

Yes, I too have accumulated some dodgy chip driven adapters, just as
everyone I suspect has.  I am slowly replacing them as I find them, not
because they don't work (they work just fine under Linux, for now.)  But
because they all have the same identity and no serial number, making the
use of multiple devices and nailing their feet to the numeric floor with
Udev rules, rather troublesome.

I prefer FTDI parts, as by default they all have a unique serial number,
making Udev rules easy and reliable.

SiLabs parts are a close second choice*, with Prolific only if there is
absolutely no other alternative.  Even the genuine Prolific chips don't
seem to have a "unique" identity.  (Unless I've not yet seen a "Genuine"
chip!)

General Linux trick:  What I've found is that if you build a Udev table
for regularly connected devices, starting from /dev/ttyUSB1 (or higher)
then anything else that is randomly connected later, will always show up
as ttyUSB0 or 2 etc, as they is still vacant.

End.

73.

Dave G0WBX.

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software.
::