[chirp_users] cloning cable wiring diagram

Peter
Sat Sep 15 13:17:31 PDT 2018

I recently ordered this TENQ "cloning" cable from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MK02BX2

This cable has Kenwood style connectors (3.5mm TRS & 2.5mm TRS) on each
end, for radio-to-radio configuration copy between Baofeng, Wouxun, and
"any two-pin style radio with a Kenwood Baofeng plug".

I wanted to verify the pinout before adding it to my radio bag. So I
spent several hours scouring the Internet for a wiring diagram for such
a cable, but with no success.  Even simple pinout descriptions were
somewhat vague ("back-to-back", etc.).  So I ultimately buzzed out the
cable with a DVM, tabulated the results, and mocked up a JPEG diagram
based on an image that originally came from Miklor.com.  See attached
for the finished product.  The diagram shows that the cable basically
has Data Tx from one end connected to Data Rx on the other and
vice-versa, with Data Ground connected between both ends.

I wanted to submit this to John for possible inclusion on his site, but
I don't see any contact form there.  I do know that he posts to this
list so here I am...  John, if you are interested, feel free to re-post
wherever you'd like, maybe here?

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Technical.php

Cheers!

(Peter)

P.S. I do understand that this list is for CHIRP issues, hence any cable
discussion would normally be limited to "programming" cables, e.g.
Kenwood to USB with a suitable integrated controller chip.  However, I
am thinking that this info might be useful to some folks here regardless.