[chirp_users] QYT KT8900 startup channels

Jim Unroe
Tue Nov 13 15:24:26 PST 2018

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 1:47 PM Tycen Stafford <tycen at tycen.com> wrote:

> Radio: QYT KT8900 (no "D" - just the KT8900)
> CHIRP Version: daily-20181018 (latest I believe)
> OS: macOS 10.13.6 (but shouldn't matter in this case)
>
> In CHIRP, under Settings > Work Mode Settings you are able to specify "MR A channel" and "MR B channel" as the default channels your radio starts on (assuming the VFO/MR mode is set to Channel). This has worked for me previously - but a while ago something changed. I don't have an exact timeline - in the last 6 months or less I believe.

All this does is preselects the desired channel when the cloning
operation is completed. If you change it to something else after the
upload finishes, nothing will automatically change it back.

> Screenshot for reference: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mt458zbn8t8zx74/Screenshot%202018-11-13%2010.34.16.png
>
> MR A channel setting is still "respected", but no matter what I put in MR B channel the radio starts up on channel 1. I tried changing it to other channels (and saving then uploading) multiple times but there is no change. When I change MR A it gets applied, but not MR B.

Are you sure this is not a firmware bug. It is on other radios of this
type. My radio with color display raid with 4 display lines will
"forget" the channels selected in display lines C and D when the radio
is power cycled. This has nothing to do with CHIRP and there nothing
CHIRP can do about it. Try it. Select a channel in the B display line
and then power cycle the radio to see if it remains the same.

Also make sure there is a channel programmed for the one selected in
the work mode settings. The radio can't select a channel that is
empty.

> Any ideas? I went back and grabbed the oldest .img file I had (from May) and it is still happening, so I don't think it's an issue with the image file.

I'm pretty sure that there has been nothing changed in CHIRP that
would affect this. But for the sake of argument, install a CHIRP daily
from 6 months ago. If it works, then there must have been a change.
Tell us which version works and we'll be able to figure out what went
wrong. If you can't find an older version that works, then that
confirms that nothing changed in CHIRP and CHIRP is not the cause.

> Anyone with a QYT KT8900 that can test this as well?

I've got a KT8900-Mini somewhere around here. I don't know if that is
close enough or not.