[chirp_users] CHIRP Not Communicating With ComputerS

Tom Balaban
Sun May 13 13:00:28 PDT 2018

I have not had to do anything with my Baofeng and Yaesu radios for quite
a while but our group has added some new frequencies so it time to
update.

Neither my Yaesu VX-6Rs nor my Baofeng UV-5Rs will communicate with
either my Linux Netbook or my WIndows 10 computers. In the case of the
Linux box, I have added my user name to the Dialout group then rebooted.
In the case of the Windows machines I have changed the Baofeng cable to
the Prolific 3.2.0.0 driver that I downloaded today from the Miklor
site. The Yaesu cable is an FTDI cable and was always recognized
previously. The cables are fully inserted in each case and the volume is
maxed out. Device Manager shows both cables as working. The Baofeng
cable reports as COM7 and the Yaesu cable as COM6

I'm never surprised with the Windows machines need some tinkering to
work but CHIRP and Linux have always worked will in the past.

What am I missing. I suspect it's something simple.

Many thanks for reading.

Tom