[chirp_users] Fwd: CHIPRP AND TYT TH-9800

Dave B
Thu Jun 21 02:32:57 PDT 2018

Just replace the damaged cap's (a not an uncommon problem by the way for
a system of that age!)  Google for "Bad Cap problems" or "capacitor
plague"  Not confined to computers or motherboards only either.   I've
replaced several such parts on a few similar aged PC's of my own over
time.   If you can't physically do it, there are places that can, at a cost.

If you have a Windows 7 recovery CD, and the licence numbers, just spin
up a VirtualBox VM under Linux, and run Win7 in that.  Job done.   V-Box
on some systems will allow you to use "seamless" mode, where you can
have both Windows and Linux app's running on the same desktop (or
looking like it at least.)  Just put the Windows, or Linux Taskbar at
the top of the screen, and the other at the bottom (or sides.)

I used to run Linux like that on a Win 7 box, before I got utterly p'd
off with Windows.

Though convenient when it's working, it's a lot of egg's in one basket,
and can be a bit of a task to set-up and get working "just so".

It's also trivial to map Linux's /dev/ttyUSBx serial ports, to appear
under Windows as COMx as well.  Very well documented, and works well.

If you stick with Win 10, research and find out how to
hog-tie/deactivate much of it's "phone home" functionality.  It's
seriously leaky (potentially privacy wise) if you just activated it with
the default settings it suggests.   Also, if you use Cortana, configure
her NOT to be active when the computer is "locked".

73.

Dave G0WBX.

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software.
::