[chirp_users] CHIRP DOWNLOAD problems (USB Serial leads)

Jim Unroe
Sun Oct 29 07:51:39 PDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 10:39 AM, Dave B <g8kbv at uku.co.uk> wrote:
> <snip>
>> you will most likely
>> have to download, install and select the older Prolific v3.2.0.0
>> driver that was available before the Prolific company decided to
>> combat piracy of their chip.
> </snip>
>
> Trouble then, unless you "hog-tie" Windows (whatever version) not to
> update that driver each time it phones home, it will want to "update"
> the older driver for the current one, so your interface lead stops
> working (again.)

This has never happened to me in 5 years. I have multiple Prolific
drivers installed. I switch between them at will for testing. I keep
the v3.2.0.0 driver selected for daily use because it works with both
genuine and counterfeit Prolific chips.

Jim