[chirp_users] New user advice please

Phil Cooper
Tue Mar 21 12:45:19 PDT 2017

Hi all,

Last year, I purchased a Baofeng UV-5R Plus and a programming lead with the
intention of setting up the radio with Chirp.

A long story cut short - the lead was one that contained a "dodgy" Prolific
IC, so I recently purchased a CP2102 module, and replaced the USB part of
the lead.
The drivers loaded correctly, and I have set the Com port.

But, try as I might, all I get is "Radio failed to respond" from Chirp.

My guess is that I am doing something wrong. So, what is the secret?

Chirp help says to choose a quiet frequency, but makes no mention of whether
the squelch should be open, fully closed, partly closed or what.
Do you connect the radio to the lead, turn it on, and then click the OK
button when prompted to do so? Or do you leave the radio off, and only turn
it on when prompted?

Also, I don't see the UV-5R Plus listed. I have tried using  UV-5R as the
model, and also tried using BF-F8HP, but I get the same result from both.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Best 73

Phil GU0SUP

---