[chirp_users] Template & MediaWiki

Wenlock Burton
Sun Mar 12 21:55:58 PDT 2017

Hi

Could someone enlighten me as to what CARLA is please?

Thanks

Wenlock
VK3YWB

Sent from my iPhone

On 13 Mar 2017, at 15:38, M Noivad <noivad at mac.com<mailto:noivad at mac.com>> wrote:

From: Drew Einhorn <drew.einhorn at gmail.com<mailto:drew.einhorn at gmail.com>>
The point is to make it easier for licensed folks to avoid mistakes that
violate the law, not to make it impossible for folks who intend to violate
the law.

It's easy to accidentally press the TX button. I would prefer to easily
configure the radio to limit the damages. Duplex off is nice. But, I'd
prefer to set my country to US and license to Amateur Technician and
automatically have Duplex set correctly for all frequencies outside the
amateur bands.

From: John Wilkerson <jl_wilkerson at att.net<mailto:jl_wilkerson at att.net>>
The suggestions should be posted at the Chirp website, if you'd ever
want them considered.

If sounds like you’re requesting more of an additive template system with importable sets of preference templates based on license/region/organization that only overwrite specified fields, or open a new document with those fields set. This would allow you to save different presets in groups for different use cases/clients as well as combine sets (with the latest template added taking precedence). For instance that would allow a person to start with a “Technician,” “Extra,” template overlay a “CARLA region set” of channels, and then import their groups sets. Numerical collisions could either automatically add to the end or give the user a remap to # option per channel or per group. That system could be group sourced, and maintain the flexibility for an infinite number of use cases.

From: David <weather at lightingunlimited.com<mailto:weather at lightingunlimited.com>>
What is MediaWiki?

From: Drew Einhorn <drew.einhorn at gmail.com<mailto:drew.einhorn at gmail.com>>
MediaWiki is the very powerful wiki software that runs the Wikipedia and
many other well-known wikis. It is not the easiest to work with, but it can
do just about anything wiki related, and do it well. Casual users are
frequently overwhelmed by its complexity. So, it is often not the best
choice.

I’ve been running a MediaWiki installation for over 10 years now. While MediaWiki is great for crowdsource, for file exchange, security & safety can be problematic. Instead I would probably crowdsource templates, suggested above, on github.

 For crowdsourced information, MediaWiki is great. Setup complexity is dependent on your server environment. For some it’s as simple as downloading a package and running the setup wizard, while for others it’s compiling from source, etc. If you need advice, I’d be happy to help.

Thanks for Chirp.

Mike
KF6FGE