[chirp_users] Template & MediaWiki

M Noivad
Sun Mar 12 21:38:03 PDT 2017

From: Drew Einhorn <drew.einhorn at gmail.com <mailto:drew.einhorn at gmail.com>>

From: John Wilkerson <jl_wilkerson at att.net <mailto:jl_wilkerson at att.net>>
> The suggestions should be posted at the Chirp website, if you'd ever
> want them considered.

If sounds like you’re requesting more of an additive template system with importable sets of preference templates based on license/region/organization that only overwrite specified fields, or open a new document with those fields set. This would allow you to save different presets in groups for different use cases/clients as well as combine sets (with the latest template added taking precedence). For instance that would allow a person to start with a “Technician,” “Extra,” template overlay a “CARLA region set” of channels, and then import their groups sets. Numerical collisions could either automatically add to the end or give the user a remap to # option per channel or per group. That system could be group sourced, and maintain the flexibility for an infinite number of use cases.

From: David <weather at lightingunlimited.com <mailto:weather at lightingunlimited.com>>

From: Drew Einhorn <drew.einhorn at gmail.com <mailto:drew.einhorn at gmail.com>>
> MediaWiki is the very powerful wiki software that runs the Wikipedia and
> many other well-known wikis. It is not the easiest to work with, but it can
> do just about anything wiki related, and do it well. Casual users are
> frequently overwhelmed by its complexity. So, it is often not the best
> choice.

I’ve been running a MediaWiki installation for over 10 years now. While MediaWiki is great for crowdsource, for file exchange, security & safety can be problematic. Instead I would probably crowdsource templates, suggested above, on github.

 For crowdsourced information, MediaWiki is great. Setup complexity is dependent on your server environment. For some it’s as simple as downloading a package and running the setup wizard, while for others it’s compiling from source, etc. If you need advice, I’d be happy to help.

Thanks for Chirp.

Mike
KF6FGE