[chirp_users] YOUR SOFTWARE IS JUNK //////////???????????????

Benton
Sun Jul 30 15:07:45 PDT 2017

On 2017-07-30 14:22, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
> ...it's not a CHIRP problem but there are Chinese made adapters that
> use fake chips using the Prolific chip.  The FTDI chip based cables
> work fine.

The FTDI USB/RS-232 chips have also been counterfeited, tho' seemingly
not in such great numbers.

Remember when FTDI released a driver that detected the fake parts and
bricked 'em?  After (I suspect a severe scolding for) using MS to
distribute the driver, they released a follow-up that, like Prolific's,
merely declines to work with counterfeit parts.  (Least that's my
recollection.)

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/ftdi-abuses-windows-update-pushing-driver-that-breaks-counterfeit-chips/

http://hackaday.com/2016/02/01/ftdi-drivers-break-fake-chips-again/

Benton 30jul17