[chirp_users] Boafeng Help

Tom Hayward
Tue Jan 24 13:58:39 PST 2017

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 1:51 PM, Jake via chirp_users
<chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> wrote:
> I recently purchased a Boafeng UV-5RA. I  was able to get the NOAA weather
> stations programmed for the areas I travel too. But I am having a problem
> getting the local Emergency Response stations programmed. I have the
> frequencies but cant seem to pick up the transmissions. I would appreciate
> any help/advice anyone would be willing  to provide to me.

At least in the US (I don't have experience elsewhere), most public
safety radio systems have moved to digital voice (usually P25) and
often up in the 700-800 MHz range. I assume that's what you mean by
Emergency Response. Your UV5R isn't capable of this.

When programming channels outside the ham band, like NOAA weather or
public safety, you'll want to set Duplex to Off in Chirp to prevent
accidentally transmitting.

Any further questions about public safety radio systems should be made
on a forum appropriate for that topic. Radio Reference has good forums
for that. This mailing list just deals with programming radios with
Chirp, which it sounds like you've had no trouble doing.

Tom KD7LXL