[chirp_users] Chirp and Baofeng radios

Jim Unroe
Sun Jan 22 11:39:54 PST 2017

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 12:57 PM, Glenn <glennervin at cableone.net> wrote:
> I just bought two more UV-5R radios and they were quite inexpensive, like 27
> dollars each.
> How does one know if they have the latest firmware?
> I am a Blind user, so looking at the display will not help.
> Thanks.

There is no need to look at the display. Ever since the BFB299
firmware version was released (about 3 or 4 years ago) these radios
display BFB297 as the firmware version. Since them, the "real"
firmware version can only be determined by using CHIRP.

Settings -> Other Settings -> Firmware Message 1:

Except maybe to avoid the getting the "HN5RV01" firmware version,
there has been no reason to choose one firmware version over another.