[chirp_users] Legal Frequencies?

Glenn
Thu Sep 8 18:55:53 PDT 2016

All of the FRS frequencies are legal for you to use, but the 5 watts may not be legal.
But since you are in a rural area, I wouldn't worry about it.
Glenn
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Steve Wiggins
  To: Discussion of CHIRP
  Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2016 3:17 PM
  Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Legal Frequencies?

  Dave, thanks for your concern about operating in the correct frequency band for your communications needs. 467 Mhz is OUTSIDE the Amateur Radio assigned UHF portion of the radio spectrum, so you're good there. I would suggest that you look up that particular frequency on a search engine and see what results  come back to you. But, I must warn you... The spectrum in America is highly regulated, and most likely, you are operating in a portion of the spectrum that is reserved for a particular radio service. Those who are licensed for their portion of the spectrum are highly protective and don't look kindly on interlopers. I can assure you that if somebody finds an UNLICENSED operator in the spectrum, they will turn the operator in to the FCC. The penalties can be very harsh.

  If I were you, I would tread very carefully, as the spectrum is monitored closely by the FCC.  So, just because a radio is capable of transmitting on a particular frequency, it has no bearing on the fact that you could be breaking the law when you key the transmitter. It's sort of like a car that can do a hundred MPH. Just because it can operate at that speed, you wouldn't want to try to do that on a city street.

  I trust this helps.

  Best wishes,

  Steve Wiggins
  AMATEUR EXTRA