[chirp_users] Legal Frequencies?

Jim Unroe
Thu Sep 8 14:20:41 PDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Dave Zoller <dzoller at reddevil.com> wrote:
> I just got a set of Baofeng BF-888S radios from Amazon and Chirp works
> like a dream for programming them. Unfortunately, I am a network
> administrator and know very little about which frequencies are and are not
> legal. We want the radios for short range comms in our manufacturing
> facility, which is not that large. I've set channel 1 to use FRS-08,
> 467.5625 MHz, which I think is legal. I haven't heard anyone else using
> it, but I'm in a fairly rural area so that doesn't surprise me. I also
> have it set on the lowest transmit power, which adequately covers the area
> I need covered.
>
> I have some questions:
> Is that a good/safe/legal frequency to use?
> What would be some good alternative frequencies if I discover that another
> group uses this one?
> Will Chirp allow me to set all the channels to the same frequency so I can
> prevent these guys from using an illegal frequency? Is it a good to do
> that (or something like it)?
> Any other advice?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -Dave

Hi Dave,

Assuming that we are discussing use in the USA...

The BF-888s has been certified by the FCC for part 90 use. But only
the radios that ship from the factory with a sticker applied that
includes the FCC ID have this certification. Usually a radio with the
sticker costs more than the same radio without one, so most (if not
all) BF-888s radios sold in the USA do not have this needed sticker.
Without a sticker, it is not certified for any service. In that case
it can only be used by a licensed ham on frequencies authorized by FCC
part 97 because certification for this type of equipment is not
required.

Usually discussions of this type are frowned upon on this type of
forum. I would be happy to discuss it further if you would contact me
directly.